So… my last day of work was last Wednesday, and ever since my days have been a non-stop whirlwind of booking reservations, shopping, making piles (I’ve basically taken over all of the downstairs), misc. stuff on the computer, and spending time with family/friends.
It’s been exciting, exhausting and overwhelming all at once. While it still seems like my to-do list is massive, I’m actually getting to the point where I can not only a) essentially make a list of everything that still needs to be done, but also b) imagine getting it all done.
A couple of major things that have been “checked off the list” in the past few days:
- A new camera – I lost my old one (which I wasn’t really in love with, to be honest) this summer. I am now a proud owner of a Canon PowerShot ELPH 100.
- A travel purse – George got me a wonderful across the chest anti-theft purse to take, it has things like locking zippers, an anti-cut strap and mesh to prevent slashing. I’m excited to have those extra safety precautions, and it’s a nice neutral plum color which will stay clean and add some fun color to my outfits.
- Reservations for a tour of the Vatican Museums.
- Hostel Reservations – we now have someplace to spend every night we’re traveling! For a while we were considering talking to people we’d meet on the road and having a little bit more flex to our schedule/sleeping options, but the safety of having somewhere to stay every night ended up winning. I must admit that it is a little bit of a relief.
- An international phone – I have a pay as you go phone so that I can call hostels/museums as needed, as well as for emergencies. It’s pretty expensive to call the US though, so I think I’m just going to try and stick with skype.
…and no, I haven’t finished packing yet!